This tutorial will help you learn how to manage your categories in the WordPress program.
- You should begin by logging in to WordPress, and going to your Dashboard. In the left hand column you will find your menu items.
- Click to expand the Posts option. This will give you the options of Posts, Add New, Categories, and Post Tags. Click on Categories.
- This takes you to a Categories screen. To Add a New Category, type the name as you would like it to appear on your site in the name box. Below that box, is a box to type in the “slug”, which is the URL-friendly version of the name.
- Scroll down, and if you wish you can choose to select a category parent. Enter a brief description in the box.
- When you are ready, click on the Add New Category button.
- On the Categories Page, you can quickly edit a category’s information.
- Select the category you wish to edit, and in the right hand column click on the quick edit link below the appropriate category.
- Make any changes, or click cancel. Delete a category by clicking on the delete link in the same area.
- You will be asked to confirm that you wish to delete the category.
- Click OK to confirm.
This is the end of this tutorial. You now know how to manage categories in WordPress.